Re: Re: Need a little help with heroquests

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 18:22:32 +0100 (BST)

Charles Corrigan:
> it is clear that the Heortlings do the LBQ (Lightbringers Quest) at
> at least three different levels - the annual Sacred time re-enactment
> led by the clan ring, the Stationary LBQ that Kallyr did and the full
> LBQ of Harmast, Argrath etc.

Absolutely so. However, if were inclined to, one might seek to rationalise Greg's reported take on this by postulating that there are structurally different "versions" of a quest, rather than simply doing the same quest at an "elective" difficulty. In support of this, note that the stations of the former two are different from that of the latter -- not that we have anything but the sketchiest outline of either, of course.

Myself, I suspect that both things are going on: there exist both different "paths" through many quests ("tick here to select the Baths of Nelat"), _and_ they can be done at different "depths" (which one might think of as degree to which one core being is relocated to the heroplane or godplane). I say this principally on the basis of what I believe to be "true" in Glorantha, but by a happy coincudence, it also happens to be what I think is the most flexible, fun and playable approach as far as actual play in concerned.

Cheers,
Alex.