RE: Re: Need a little help with heroquests

From: bernuetz.oliver_at_...
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 16:19:18 -0400

Peter Larsen replying to me :

>>Hmmm, different paths through many quests? I'd agree up to that point.
Do
>>most quests need different paths? Wouldn't the vast majority have just
one
>>accepted path? Obviously multi-level HQs like the LBQ need multiple paths
>>but does the Initiation HQ? Or does any quest you do for different reasons
>>have a different path? Flexibility is good, complexity isn't. Are these
>>multi-level HQs the norm or the exception?

> Sure the initiation heroquest should have multiple paths. You do't
>think our clan does it the same way as those ignorant bastards over the
>hill, do you? Sure we both reach Orlanth (or, at least we do), but look at
>the weedy men they put out -- surely they take the easy path at the Great
>pine, and they can't enter the Singing Woods, because only our people know
>the words the Old Woman waits for....

That's great from a colour viewpoint but a major pain in the arse from a publishing viewpoint. Probably just easier to publish one variant of this sort of quest and then add a disclaimer "No matter what clan is doing it everyone else is doing it slightly/majorally different than you are...and BTW doing it wrong!"

Oliver