RE: Re: Need a little help with heroquests

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 16:09:00 -0500

Oliver says to

me:
>> Sure the initiation heroquest should have multiple paths. You do't

>That's great from a colour viewpoint but a major pain in the arse from a
>publishing viewpoint. Probably just easier to publish one variant of this
>sort of quest and then add a disclaimer "No matter what clan is doing it
>everyone else is doing it slightly/majorally different than you are...and
>BTW doing it wrong!"

        Not necessarily. For something like an Initiation quest, you could say : this is how the Velarings of the Kultain tribe initiate young men. the neighboring Beralos clan follow a similar path, but their enemy is always Darkness-related, and the Speaking Rock is replaced by the Questioning Grandmother. The Orlundi do the same, but add a stage where the questers must cross a river and escape the Viscious Fish (Agility vs 12 or Swim vs 15). A couple of examples should give Narrators the idea, and encourage them to make their own modifications to the quest.

        On rarer quests, you could include a couple of optional stages; Narrators can always add more. Or just present the quest as "This is the way that Torvald of the Five Blows performed the Blue Stone Quest in 1530; while he succeeded, and gained much honor, my Grandmother's Mother said that Torvald was ignorant of the Secret Path known to the Beralos, and this cost him his life when he tried the Sixth Blow at Grizzly Peak." Just give the Narrator the idea that there can be more than one way. The best quests are going to be tailored to the players anyway -- if they hate broos, they'll be seeing a lot of them in the Other Worlds when Chaos is called for; who cares if the written quest says scorpion men?

Peter Larsen