Re: Enchanting weapons

From: Briquelet_at_...
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 21:50:30 -0000

> > It *can't* be the case that the sword gives a straight +12 to
> > Close Combat, or that this ability rating of 12 can just be
> > changed into a 24-point offensive edge -- that'd be daftly
> > powerful for the "default" magic item.
> Agreed

I definitely agree.

> > My *guess* is that you could work out a fixed bonus using the
> > normal conversion rates (resistance 5 = +1 target number bonus
> > or ^2 offensive or defensive edge), so that for a bog-standard
> > magic sword you'd say 12/5 = +2 to hit, or +5 damage, and take
> > it from there for more powerful items. Which sounds fair to me.
> Agreed

I also agree, but what about differences in the abilities of various enchanters? Shouldn't part of the bonus imparted be based upon the enchanter's skill with the feat being placed into the weapon? I have been thinking of something along the same lines as the +1/5 bonus above. What if the enchanter must decide what level bonus he wishes to give the weapon, then must cast his spell as though augmenting the item. The permanent bonus, however, would only be equal to 1/4 (round down)the normal augmentation or edge provided. Ex: Once the character has crafted the weapon and achieved a complete victory over the blade with his enchant iron skill, he casts his Truesword Stroke magic upon it. He decides that he will attempt to give the weapon a +2 to the wielder's sword skill. Normally, augmenting for a +2 would only require a feat success v. a resistance of 10. However, because this will be a permanent enchantment, it will require a feat success v. a resistance of 20W (the resistance required to gain a +8 augmentation). Along the same lines, if an enchanter wished to imbue an item with a feat, he would be able to provide it with a score equal to 1/4 his own skill in that feat. To get the "standard" 12, the enchanter would need a skill of 8W2. I know this may seem like an overcomplication to some, but it seems pretty logical to my feeble brain. Please be gentle and let me know what you think--how it can be streamlined or in any way improved.

> > You did notice that you need to achieve a Complete Victory with
> > the ability you're enchanting into the sword *AS WELL AS* the
> > Enchant ability, *and* spend one or more Hero Points, to make
> > it work?
> Nasty isn't it!

I noticed. :-) If you can get that sucker to 0 AP, you should have a fair chance of driving the task to a complete victory. (unless you got it to 0 through plain old luck)

> Actually the "best" powergamer way to make a magic item is to
enchant
> it and summon/plead/whatever a daimone/spirit/essence to enter it.
Um, forgive my ignorance, but what feats or skills would an Iginew Redson devotee use to pull this off?

> regards,
> Charles

Thanks in advance,

John