RE: Re: Need a little help with heroquests

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 21:16:14 +0100 (BST)

> I'll buy that but I suspect regional variation will be sacrificed to
> expediency when publishing time comes.

Inevitably it's impossible to publish every variant on every quest, or anything like that; I'm just saying people should realize there _is_ variation, and hopefully feel that gives them licence to make some of 'em up (should anyone feel they need it).

> I like this but is there a level at which someone cannot benefit from a HQ
> due to their stature or is that level only reached by uber-uber-characters?

Being an übercharacter (doppelübercharacter?) tends to mean one already has a significantly defined relationship to the HP; this may make some quests redundant, and others impossible (or much more difficult, at any rate). And there'd be the "oops, wrong quest" syndrome: crossing the barrier to attempt a quest one "doesn't fit in" might cause one to end up in some related but different part of the heroplane, either spontaneously or due to the finagling of one's enemies -- like the occassions when worship ceremonies are interrupted by HQing outsiders.

(I'm not sure there's much a game balance issue here, due to diminishing returns, but those'd be things to keep players on their toes if they're starting to think of HQs as "easy and routine".)

> Seems reasonable but if you're supposed to be duplicating the actions of the
> gods aren't you pretty restricted to a linear approach. If A then B, no A
> well you're out of luck?

My point was that the god (or heroes seeking to emulate him, as has been mentioned) may have done several _different_ things (either at different "times", or in different accounts of the myth). You're generally best to follow the version you know, but being prepared for different contingencies might be well advised too. (Greg's usual example of this is the Westfaring; if you only know the version where you get carried across the western ocean by a turtle, and a seagull turns up, you'll be scratching your head, but if you know it's a viable alternative version of the myth, and the correct responses to make...)