Re: Talking about my clan g-g-g-generation...

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 20:20:37 +0100 (BST)

Peter Larsen wrote:

[a bunch of late 16th C. clan generation suggestions]

I used these, pretty much as is, last night, and quite illuminating (as it were!) they were too. I should have done a bit more work on fleshing out the options, though, ideally...

> >> 1. What was your clan's attitude toward Tarsh?
>
> They Are Allies -- Pro-trade, Anti-Lunar
> They Are Orlanthi -- Conservative
> They Are Weird, with All That Shaker Stuff -- For people who chose the
> Grandmothers as their enemies?

One might split this last into a couple of options, "strange", and "enemies", and give out "tradition" ticks as you outline...

I'm not sure how best to translate "Conservative" -- is that tradition, loyalty, or "Orlanth"?

> >> 3. Did you lose a lot of warriors at Grizzly peak?
>
> I suppose this should really be "Did you support Tarkalor at
> Grizzly Peak with warriors?"
>
> Lots -- reduce the fyrd and weapon thanes by 1/3
> Some -- reduce the fyrd by 10%, reduce weaponthanes by 1
> A few -- reduce weaponthanes by 1
> No -- no effect
>
> Maybe this should also affect your threat rating and pro-/anti-
> Lunar ratings.

"Threat" isn't on the worksheet: it might reflect on conquest, loyalty, etc, depending on _why_ one is sending lots of warriors (dunno if it's worth another separate question, but one might made certain reasonable assumptions). P-/A-Lunar certainly...

> Maybe a pro-/anti- Sartar rating would be good, too.

I think "pro-Sartar" is definitely a good idea; I was going to say that surely no-one would be actually _anti_ Sartar... but my group gave it the old college try. ;-) I'd tend to say one would be "contemptuously indifferent", at worst.

> Effects on fyrd and weaponthanes are actual losses (it's only been
> 10 years, right?) plus loss of teachers, etc.

18, actually. There's been more recent fighting (1591-present), but I dunno if that's worth a separate q. If it is, I didn't think of it at the time. ;-)

> >> 4. How did your clan react to the Elmal/Yelmalio thing?
>
> Supported Elmal; Treated His People Well -- Elmal becomes a worshipped
> deity; add a weaponthan or two.
> Drove the Elmali Out -- lose a weaponthan or two
> Let Events Go According to Fate -- No change.
>
> If there's a way to track relations with the Sun Dome Temple, this
> would effect it. Threat ratings might also change.

That's a complex one; is this a sun vs. non-sun thing, or a "which sun god" thing?

> >> 6. Did you send warriors to the Pol Joni?
>
> Yes -- Praxians as enemy
> No -- no change

My lot wanted to aid the Praxians. ;-)

Thanks for the input; Larry and Greg, et al, roll on the print versions, and the reconfigurable, downloadable version of the applet!

Cheers.
Alex.