Re: Pages falling out

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 13:26:43 -0000

> And I think I am entitled to read my books in my normal fashion.
None of the other hundred's of books I have owned have ever had this problem and a roleplaying game calls out for a format that allows you to lay out your rules, background, etc on the table for other players or GM's to look at.

But how much extra are you willing to pay for that sort of binding? I don't know about the pricing elsewhere, but here the HW bookds retailed for between two and three times what a standard paper-back novel sells for (depending on the book), and similar to a little more than a "trade paperback" novel of the same size sells for. Yet I would think the economics of game publishing would demand more profit per unit than does book publishing (print runs being smaller and all that).

So the question becomes, how much durability are you willing to pay for? HW isn't a game that requires you to have a ton of charts and references in front of you all the time (thank goodness!), so presumably they don't need the durability of, say, a D&D book.

Still, obviously a lot of people are having trouble. Perhaps they could move to 8.5" x 11", staple bound "magazine like" format? Personally I find those look cheap, and I like these compact books better, but if they aren't a good match for the market I hope they can find some other economical solution. I don't want too much of my limited budget for gaming materials going to pay the book-binders bills.

-Bryan