Re: Followers

From: Charles Corrigan <glorantha_at_...>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 18:36:59 -0000

<much good stuff I agree with snipped>

> And keep in mind the most important thing: they don't act
> independently. There are almost no circumstances where you'd ever
> roll their skills. (When's the last time you saw a Star Trek
> red-shirt in a scene by himself?)

I disagree on this point.

My Issaries character (see
http://www.indigost.demon.co.uk/glorantha/karath.html ) has a Close Combat of 15 while his bodyguard followers have Keyword: Warrior of 9W (meaning Close Combat 9W). There are dangerous situations where I will choose to roll on the follower's Close Combat rather than the character's (though my preference would be to use the character's).

Similarly, some followers have skills that the character does not. I obtained a follower that is an Initiate of Donandar (in actual play rather than in the original character write-up). While I can see many situations where the follower support the character with this ability, I can also see some where the character has no appropriate ability and using the follower's ability is the only viable option.

And it should be obvious by now that I can be an outrageous minimaxing  powergamer as much as a storyteller or roleplayer! ;-)

regards,
Charles