Re: Followers

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 08:20:32 -0700

Wulf

> >Besides, followers improve automatically, as the hero does.
>
> Yes, but I allow followers two uses of HP/FP. Firstly, just as
> ordinary HP - but under the control of the follower (which usually
> means the narrator). These represent truly spectacular follower
> assistance (if Gabrielle is still a follower, she uses these).

Xena's Gabrielle is not a follower, she's an ally. I don't really watch the program, but hasn't she had a whole show to herself once?

Charles

> > And keep in mind the most important thing: they don't act
>> independently. There are almost no circumstances where you'd ever
>> roll their skills. (When's the last time you saw a Star Trek
>> red-shirt in a scene by himself?)
>
> I disagree on this point.
>
> My Issaries character (see
> http://www.indigost.demon.co.uk/glorantha/karath.html ) has a Close
> Combat of 15 while his bodyguard followers have Keyword: Warrior of
> 9W (meaning Close Combat 9W). There are dangerous situations where I
> will choose to roll on the follower's Close Combat rather than the
> character's (though my preference would be to use the character's).

I'll concede there are cases where a follower's skill is used directly. But I still maintain it's always under the fairly direct supervision of the hero -- you don't use a follower to stay behind and hold the pass, or even to deliver a critically important message.

Ian

> if a hero's follower became so significant that we all knew who
> they were and it seemd likely that everyone else would as well, then
> the narrator could suggest that the follower has become an ally (the
> stats rise, but you can't be so sure someone else won't require their
> commitment)

Yes. (I'd be tempted to have the stats rise on the occasions where the ally doesn't show up, i.e. the player fails the relationship roll which is now necessary.)

--

David Dunham   <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html>