RE: Re: Heroquesting

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_at_...>
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2001 07:30:00 +0100

Alex wrote:

> There's also the "emulating an emulator" syndrome; if one practices
> some form of hero-worship ... it can be ambiguous whether one is
> taking the part of the hero (or the hero's hero, or...), or the god.

At the top end, of course, we see the Orlanthi *gods* emulating each others' hero quests -- compare Vadrus' battle against Enshokons to Orlanth's (and later Barntar's?) against Aroka -- Wyrms Footnotes pp.67-8, 72, 79.

Vadrus released Iphara; Orlanth released Heler; Barntar brought Heler home. Different results from the same quest? Similar results from different quests approached with the same techniques? (God Learner: same mythic event reported in different ways?).

Who Knows?

ISTM that at any point of these "three" quests, a well-prepared heroquester could mix'n'match his approach to suit his available resources and needs. Else why bother with all that reduplication?

(Yeah, yeah, Nick's trying to make encyclopaedic knowledge of Glorantha into a gaming asset, yet again... :-)

Cheers, Nick