RE: Re What a great system, What an alluring cow

From: Bruce Ferrie <bruce_at_...>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 14:19:36 +0100

On Wednesday, September 12, 2001 9:53 AM, Mark [SMTP:krisna_dragon_at_...] wrote:

> I was lucky enough to attend this session and this was my first HW
> combat (in my second session playing) and I have immediately fallen
> in love with the elegance of this system. A combat which under RQ
> rules would have probably taken 2 to 3 hours to complete was done in
> 20 - 30 minutes and with greater flow and drama than the old RQ rules
> would have really allowed.

Glad you enjoyed it. Ian's GM'ing has been going well, then. :)

The time factor is the other huge benefit with HW. Extended Contests do go through very quickly once you get to used to how they work (you'll notice that our lot have been playing for long enough to have memorised the charts by now). It's lovely to be able to get on with playing the game rather than spending another hour rolling dice and checking critical hit charts. As much as I loved Runequest, that's something I don't miss.

When I first started running the game, it took me a while to adapt to the timing. The first time I ran a combat, I was stunned to find it was over in less than 10 minutes. Left me with plenty of extra time to fill...

  I am totally sold on the system. Now I
> just need someone to explain to my Humakti the nature of raiding and
> that bloody handed slaughter to repel the opposition is not always
> necessary.

But where else will we find blood for Oranda to drink? ;)

Regards,

Bruce