Re: Combat & Simple Contests

From: Mark Galeotti <hia15_at_...>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 07:02:01 -0000

The good thing about HQ is precisely that you can decide how to run these situations. The one-on-one approach works well, especially as a chance to give some light and not-too-difficult combat experience to the sort of characters who don't fight much directly. And you can always beef up the ones facing combat-heavy types to give them a bit of a challenge. One thing to note is that simple contests will technically very rarely lead to a Kill in one go. I would simply say that with weak and story-marginal enemies like this, any victory above a marginal means a Kill.

Another alternative, just for info, is to have a one-to-one extended between the lead PC combatant and the trollkin leader, with each side acting as followers. This can be a fun way to get the other PCs thinking about how they are augmenting their representative: straightforward combat? ('I stand at his back, preventing any of the little bugger from attacking him from behind') Raising morale ('I use my Relationship to him to cheer him on')? Weirdness ('I suddenly expose myself to the trollkin - my Disturbing Appearance 5w will distract and alarm them')?

Mark