Re: Combat & Simple Contests

From: Thom Baguley <t.s.baguley_at_...>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 13:39:35 +0100

> From: atomikdog2001_at_...
>Thanks to everyone who sent characters or links to characters, they
>have been very helpful. My next question is regarding Simple Contests
>and combat.
>The heroes have encountered an equal size group of Trollkin, this is
>not a main focal point of the adventure. My initial thought is to use
>a Simple Contest per hero and Trollkin opponent. Possible outcomes:
>1. Heroes all win Trollkin lose. No problem adventure moves on.
>2. Mixed victories and losses. Should we continue with another
>round of Simple Contests? Should we assume that the combat ends with
>the remaining Trollkin fleeing? I guess the second outcome would be
>dependent on story needs. But surely there are other options I do not
>immediately think of.
>3. Trollkin win. This becomes an unforseen story element and
>cause for excelent roleplaying and GM winging.
>I know these are rather simplified and limited options but as a real
>new comer to this system and being real confused I'd like to have
>some other input.

Using a simple contest will tend to make the combat more dangerous to the PCs (a bad roll could kill them).

I'd use simple contests to intimidate or otherwise pacify the trollkin. If that fails then either ability tests (for feeble trollkin who can't resist much) or extended combat (which should be very quick).

e.g., my current band would probably scare off the trollkin with one glance from the Humakti's "Cold-hearted" ability.

Thom