Re: Combat & Simple Contests

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 13:10:08 -0000

> The heroes have encountered an equal size group of Trollkin, this
> is not a main focal point of the adventure. My initial thought is
> to use a Simple Contest per hero and Trollkin opponent.

I believe there is a section in the Rulebook on "Group Simple Contests" - since I don't have a copy with me, I can't give you a better reference, and the rest of this post is relying on (a) my memory and (b) what I think I would do...

> Possible outcomes:
> 1. Heroes all win Trollkin lose. No problem adventure moves on.
> 2. Mixed victories and losses. Should we continue with another
> round of Simple Contests?

I think that whoever gets the most victories should probably be assumed to go to whoever wins the majority of the simple contests.

> Should we assume that the combat ends
> with the remaining Trollkin fleeing?

Well, only if they loose!

>I guess the second outcome would be
>dependent on story needs. But surely there are other options I do
>not immediately think of.
> 3. Trollkin win. This becomes an unforseen story element and
> cause for excelent roleplaying and GM winging.
> I know these are rather simplified and limited options but as a
> real new comer to this system and being real confused I'd like to
> have some other input.

There are 9 levels of victory or defeat from "Tie" in the middle out through "marginal", "minor","major" anc "complete". It may be helpful to consider what the likely results are for each possible outcome to give your players the illusion that you are in control!

eg Players score a:
Complete Victory - Their strategy for fighting the Trollkin works perfectly
Major Victory - The Trollkin are defeated without raising the alarm Minor Victory - The battle is sufficiently noisy that the alarm may be raised *
Marginal Victory - One (or more) of the Trollkin escapes from the battle and may raise the alarm *
Tie - roll a second round
Marginal Defeat - The Trollkins are defeated but (some of) the pc's are hurt (-1)
Minor Defeat - The Trollkins are defeated but (some of) the pc's are injured
Major Defeat - The Trollkins drive the pc's off - they may be injured or hurt and need to come up with a new strategy Complete Defeat - Characters are captured by the Trollkin

(*Even if there is no alarm to raise - the PC's don't know that!)