RE: Redaldan HQ questions

From: Bruce Ferrie <bruce_at_...>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 16:40:17 +0100

On Thursday, September 20, 2001 1:37 PM, Wulf Corbett [SMTP:wulfc_at_...] wrote:

> The quest appears to be written as a Quest Challenge (you have to
> wager an Ability of 15W or better), but at no station does it state
> that 'this is the challenge'. Doesn't a quest challenge have to be
> attached to a specific station, and a contest within that station?

<Bruce rereads the book>

You're the second person to ask me that. And you're right. In reading the section on quest challenges before, I'd somehow managed to have my eyes dance over the bit of the paragraph that reads:

"... At the climactic station each participant puts a portion of his very being at risk..."

I'd just assumed that getting a Victory through Carryover in the quest as a whole was what was needed but, of course, that just determines the DURATION, doesn't it?

In this case, I think the "climactic station" is the one where Eurmal tries to pass himself off as the foal.

> Also, the hero must have 100 AP or better in that ability. Exactly
> (or even approximately) what ability is not stated, again, doesn't
> this have to be relevant to the challenge?

Well, the quester is free to choose what ability is to be wagered. I think it's implicit that the ability is something "relevant", so hadn't felt the need to narrow the choice down.
Now that I've actually specified in which station the quest challenge takes place, there's guidance there on which abilities might be used (Find Lost Child for Vinga, anything from the Bless Horses affinity for Redalda, any detect lies/true seeing type things will also be particularly suitable here).

I'll do a revision of the quest tonight to reflect this. There's already a couple of things I want to change anyhow.

Thanks to you (and Charles) for keeping me on the straight and narrow rules-wise. See, I *don't* have to read them properly - someone else will do it for me. ;)

Regards,

Bruce