Re: HeroQuestion

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 16:40:58 -0000

> Of course, a HQ should go mostly the way that it is told. If the
>Redaldan quest is tweaked in every station, and the outcome nets you
>a Shiney Sword instead of a Magical Foal, well, it's not really the
>Redaldan Quest then, is it?

No, but if you set out to do the Redaldan quest just as some Broo Hero is enacting "Ragnaglar abducts and impregnates the horses" then you may find that you aren't doing the quest you thought you were anyway...

I think the "sort of" problem with this sort of quest is, yes the Bad Dogs might turn out to be something else, and maybe the river will be replaced by some other obstacle, but at it's core, what I need to do is find the foal and spot that it is Eurmal in disguise. Now if I as a player know that, then I'm always going to "know" the answer, and if my character also "knows the answer" then it is harder to accept that I'm "forced" to be fooled by a bad roll. (OK so that's why you keep plenty of HP spare, but none the less...

"You find the foal"
"I hug it and tell Eurmal that I'll beat him if he doesn't return the real foal"
<rolls dice> "It looks and feels like the real foal to you" "Yes but...I know the myth"

Not always a problem, and not necessarily insurmountable even when it does occur

(OK so you spot Eurmal, but not the fact that it is not the real foal that he returns to you from down the rabbit hole...)