Re: Digest Number 18

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 14:56:15 -0700

> >> 1a) Can the Character subsequently become a devotee of Orlanth
> >> Adventurous?
> >
> >Not without dropping his Devotion to Initiate - you can't be Devoted to
two
> >gods. He is using 90% of his resources (time, money, piety, etc) on the
two
> >gods right now. Two Devotions would require 120%.
>
> So any Character who is a devotee of a god can never become more than an
> initiate in the Hero Cults of that God?

Correct - and this is the way that most sub/hero cults usually work. "I want to fly - I'll pop over to the shirine to Vanganth and pick up the ability." You don't need to Devote yourelf unless you really feel strongly.

Presumably if the Hero called
> that strongly the Character would reduce his ties to the main god from
> devotee to initiate to concentrate on the Hero Aspect. Since this is
> still an aspect of the same God this is unlikely to meat with too much
> opposition?

The character has to hear the call of the other God, and his primary god has to amenable to letting him go. This comes down to the narrator and the player working together to figure out how to play it. If a hero feels the call of a more specific aspect (/herocult), the main deity probably won't have too much against it. Some cults expect a natural progression from cult to cult - becoming an Orlanth Rex devotee is a natural progression for an Orlanthi devotee, after all. The Earth religion with its three-deity format is another - as you age (and have childbearing years come and go) your "main goddess" can change in a perfectly accepted manner. Other significant events (getting raped and joining Babs Gor, frex) can be viewed as part of the "natural progression" too.

Now, swapping Devotion every other season is *not* the way it is supposed to be played - and as a narrator I'd have the gods start to get rather pissed off - "I let you join my cult just last year, and now you want to move on?!? ZOT" RR