Re: Re: Increasing Wealth

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 17:15:13 +0100 (BST)

> I am never going to say you see a Lonendi herder with +1 to
> your wealth of cows in the pasture, or how many cows in the barn? Oh
> about +2.5 to your wealth.

Quite. (What's worse, there's an "observer effect" here, since what "+2.5 wealth" means depends what your wealth is already...)

> A bit tongue in cheek I know, but all I was asking was whether there
> is an easy way of translating those 3 cows into a wealth increase for
> the player, after they have convinced the Clan Dad and cemented them
> with a HP?

The short answer is, unfortunately, no. Not in any way that's both reasonably "accurate", and reasonably playable. The best compromise I can think of is the dreaded Big Table (the gamer's solution of last resort for everything). Obviously even that is a little clumsy for regular use, but at least it'd give more of a reference point to fudge around.

A secondary problem is I'm not sure what the table should actually have in it. Would anyone be prepared to start the bidding at what, for example, they think the number of lunars to the cow is? And more to the point, very roughly what is the "total net worth" of someone with wealth 12? Wealth 1W? Wealth 1W3?