Re: Re: Combat & Simple Contests

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 17:06:50 +0100 (BST)

Thom Baguley:
> An alternative to simple contests is probably the ability test. Assuming a
> pathetic cowering trollkin slave I'd let a hero defeat it with just a
> successful ability test. A warrior trollkin deserves an extended contest
> (with only 11 or 12 AP it will be fairly quick!).

Dramatically & narrative, that's a sensible and obvious course. OTOH bear in mind that statistically, it's the "pathetic cowering trollkin slave" that's getting the "even break" here, and the warrior that's getting (even more!) hosed by the choice of resolution mechanic...

An ad solution to this is to give a rough and ready "simple contest bonus" to the superior party to respresent the extra advantage they would have gotten had an EC been used.