RE: skills and subskills

From: bernuetz.oliver_at_...
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 13:30:35 -0400

It's definitely 17 for question #1 but Ride as an omnibus skill (one that has a group of named skills under it like ranged and melee/close combat) isn't really supported by the rules. Now, could you do it that way? Hmm, I don't see why not since there really are lots and lots of options under ride, ride horse, ride bison, trick riding, leap into saddle (which could be part of jump I suppose). I don't know how far you want to go this way though. Frankly I don't think I'd bother with a ride fast skill since the ability should just be part of ride, the better you are the faster you can ride. I think I would and will treat ride this way since once you've been on a new animal and bought the ability, getting better at riding should increase all your riding skills. Now you might want to keep really different skills like riding dolphins or griffins separately, or you may not.

The only niggly problem with this sort of approach is that it makes it easier to make new skills increase since the cost for increasing these omnibus skills are the same as any single skill. Plus you definitely don't want to use this approach for every related skill, e.g. crafting-getting really good at smithing doesn't necessarily improve your carpentry though you might argue for a bonus. And you certainly wouldn't want to use it with languages (if you're bothering with language skills at all).

Oliver