Re: Cementing benefits

From: Christian Wanamaker <enlil5_at_...>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 19:18:41

> > > What increases abilities is spending Hero Points (HPs) on them.
> >
> > But a single HP can be used to cement an increase of any ammount of
> > Wealth at one go, so this doesn't hole water...
>
>I see your point.
>
>I've effectively ditched the rule for cementing benefits, for
>precisely that reason: 1 HP can buy far too much. Instead, I require
>that the benefit be bought as a new ability or ability increase, as
>per the normal HP spending rules.
>
>What do others think of the rule for cementing benefits?

1 HP buying more value than a 12 in an ability is the basic point of cementing. It is intended to allow players to find items in the same way they might in fiction. It would kind of stink if Excalibur started it's "Cut through steel" at 12. Also, it keeps from the weirdness of finding the Wheel of Stasis in an old ruin with a "Unchanging 3w", using it against the chaos horrors, and then, when you cement it, it becomes "Unchanging 12". To avoid this you either have to avoid powerful items, or rule that they cannot be cemented. It also more easily encompasses things that don't have a straight rating, like an enchanted sword with a ^10 edge. Finally, it can differentiate major items from those that the players just make up between sessions ("Yeah, last week I found this nifty macguffin while patrolling around the ruins south of the Tula").

Christian