Re: Thunderstones & such

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 11:29:04 +0100

Christian Wanamaker wrote:
> Another example of this (brought up before, I know) is stuff like Shield
> Destroyer, Break Weapon, etc. I think I see a way to work it though -
> instead of attacking the person holding the weapon, you attack the weapon
> itself. Something like a simple contest of Magic vrs. Item.
> What do you think?

I agree with Charles. Your real objective is unlikely to be to break your opponents weapon; this is merely a 'special effect' on your way to defeating them in combat. In an extended contest, APs measure how well you are progressing towards your objective. Whether you use Close Combat to strike at them, or Break Weapon to disarm them, it all comes down to a bid of APs.

Why then use Break Weapon rather than Close Combat, especially if your Close Combat is better? You might choose to use your Break Weapon to augment your Close Combat (an offensive edge seems suitable). I would rule that the defender could *not* use Close Combat to defend against a Break Weapon attack (or impose a hefty improvisational penalty). They would have to use something more suitable, such as Strong or Lightning Reflexes or Weapon Juggling. The other ability might have a smaller rating than their Close Combat, and thus giving you an advantage.