Re: Thunderstones & such

From: Mike Dawson <mdawson_at_...>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 13:59:48 -0000

Generally, I agree with the other respondents, but I also see an opportunity to use the rare "handicap" rules. If the Narrator agreed, Shield Destroyer could be cast to give the OPPONENT a NEGATIVE edge or handicap, reflecting your magic destroying his shield.

Assuming the shield is a normal one, it only offers ^1 to his armor rank. As a resistance, that's only a 2, which is an easy win. (Imagine Humakti using Shield Destroyer with throwing knives as they close with their opponents.) I could even make a case for attemtping a larger handicap than -1, due to shock, surprise, injury to the shield arm, etc.

Of course, the Narrator has the right to make the resistance higher if the shield is iron (I'd use the original iron's resistance to enchantment--yow!) or magical (use it's Target # as resistance) or the magical resistance of the shield bearer himself.

Mike