RE: More on Wealth

From: bernuetz.oliver_at_...
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 10:35:27 -0400

Tim Ellis :

>Oliver replies to me
>>>"You manage to pick the lock on the chest - Inside is a whole pile of
>>>coins and gemstones - you'd estimate them to be worth around 5
>>>wealth"
>>
>>I still would like some idea of how many gems or coins that is, at
>>least a rough idea.

>Why, a chestful, of course!

Very helpful.

>>>The player decides to keep it and spends a HP to "cement" the item.
>>>Why should he get a "free" wealth rise as well?
>>
>>Why should he have to pay for it twice though if you accept that these
>>things are elements of wealth and I think they should be.

>Because he is getting the benefit of use. He could have chosen to "Trade
>in" the items for wealth directly if he wanted wealth.

So if I have a golden torc and some armbands I'm not richer than my friend who doesn't? Same thing really.

>>What I think might work, though it's a big departure, is to set wealth
>>level as a logarythmic scale like those used for values in Master
>>Book. A given wealth level is assigned a value number, say 5W is
>>equal to 320 wealth points. Individual items like cows, iron hauberks
>>etc., can be assigned numbers, e.g. a cow is worth 5 points.

>Hmm, why not call them "Lunars" and have done with it? You'll be
>wanting to roll on a "Cattle (and other livestock) Survival Table" for
>every animal you own each year too, since the value of a herd can go
>down as well as up...

Well let's see because not every society uses Lunars and this is HeroWars not HeortlingWars? It's easy enough to assign a wealth value to a herd of cattle and then if you wanted you could see whether your investment increases. Narrators might want to determine whether your clan's herd increases or not. Farmer characters might enjoy the chance. Or you could just say 10 cows is equal to whatever and assume that natural replacement occurs and the values doesn't change until your character sells some. I can come up with my own crackpot ideas thank you.

Oliver