Re: Tweaking augments/Increasing Wealth

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 16:59:08 +0100 (BST)

Graham Robinson:
> 1. The scale in HW is, as lots of people have said, logarithmic. I've tended
> to find that doubling the 'real' number for every +10 is not far off the
> feel.

That was my feeling too. It fits with the way the ability scale progression works in general, it's neat and simply, and it it disagrees with the samples resistances, well, change them, they were broken anyway.

> So, given we know a cow (average!!) is worth 20 wealth, this gives :

I don't think that's right. If you have wealth 20, it doesn't mean you're "worth" exactly 1 cow, it means you have a 50%(ish) chance of being able to _buy_ a cow, with the readily disposable assets you have to hand. I'd have guessed 20 would be more about the wealth level of a decently well-off carl, who would be worth many cows "on paper" (and indeed have several actual cows -- isn't 8 animals the requirement?).

> 2. If you really want to get into a detailed system, I like the idea of
> running a simple contest between the number above and the current wealth
> rating. A marginal or minor victory gives +1, a major +2, and a complete +4.
> I might lower the rating for a major defeat, though - whatever gambles the
> player used to increase his wealth obviously went wrong...

That seems OK, and is a bit simply than the augment idea Wulf and I were kicking around, it must be said.

> 4. In practice, I've found this isn't an issue. My Orlanthi players tend to
> beg anything they want from the chief, and give him the basic wealth spoils
> in return. Relationships are therefore more important than personal
> wealth...

I agree, I've found this too.