Re: Re: Re: Combat & Simple Contests

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 17:19:42 +0100 (BST)

Thom Baguley:
> >Dramatically & narrative, that's a sensible and obvious course. OTOH
> >bear in mind that statistically, it's the "pathetic cowering trollkin
> >slave" that's getting the "even break" here, and the warrior that's
> >getting (even more!) hosed by the choice of resolution mechanic...
>
> Not really. The trollkin's ability test would be "run away" or "cower".

I assumed you were saying the _hero_ would make an ability test. How can you defeat someone by forcing them to make an ability test? (I suppose I was assuming you were actually using a simple contest, but evidently that's not so.)

> >An ad solution to this is to give a rough and ready "simple contest
> >bonus" to the superior party to respresent the extra advantage
> >they would have gotten had an EC been used.
>
> One thing to bear in mind, though, is that extended contests are _very_
> quick when one side has a big advantage (2-3 rounds tops).

Largely because the _underdog_ is forced to bid big, if he wants to stand any chance at all. The superior person has no incentive to, unless time is a consideration (the PC is in a hurry to get past this individual, or the player is getting bored with low bids, or has a train to catch...).