Re: Re: HQ questions

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 00:08:33 +0100 (BST)

> >How "low level" a quest are you think in terms of? If it's of
> >moderate difficulty it's happening on the hero plane; if it's
> >of low difficulty it's happening on the _mundane_ plane.
>
> Well, if you're playing the part of Vinga, challenging the Thunder
> Brothers, it's got to be the top level, Gods vs Gods. That's what I
> mean, this, and many other myths, are about GODS, no minor types
> involved, limited casting opportunities.

I think that's incorrect. To perform an Vingan quest is to "do as Vinga did", rather than necessarily to "go to the god plane and do it", as you're suggesting here. As Greg said, the majority of quests _are_ on the heroplane, though the point of them being heroquests is that they echo places/events in the god plane.

I'm aware this is far from 100% clear, and I don't pretend to have a terribly solid grasp of how HP quests and GP quests differ, amound numerous other areas of uncertainty. But that's what I've inferred, to date.

Think of it in terms of identity, rather than place. On the mundane plane, you're large simply yourself, acting in Vinga's role. On the heroplane, you're substantially identified with her, and are emulating the actions of some heroic figure, herself subsequently identified with Vinga, on a quest which is an "instance of" the original Vingan quest. There's nothing inconsistent or problematic in taking the lead role in _this_ quest.