Re: Re: HQ questions

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 00:31:44 +0100 (BST)

> >Think of it in terms of identity, rather than place. On the mundane
> >plane, you're large simply yourself, acting in Vinga's role. On
> >the heroplane, you're substantially identified with her, and are
> >emulating the actions of some heroic figure, herself subsequently
> >identified with Vinga, on a quest which is an "instance of" the
> >original Vingan quest. There's nothing inconsistent or problematic
> >in taking the lead role in _this_ quest.

> No, there's not, because you're just playing the part of someone
> playing the part of someone...That's not a HQ, that's just a bad
> school play. It's sounding increasingly forced.

You may think so, but what the heck do you think hero worship is about, anyway? I don't recall Morden's story getting "bad school play" notices. What do you think the hero-plane _is_? You seem to be randomly rubbishing suggestions along these lines without offering much of an alternative, or taking any of the alleged "mechanics" of questing into account.

> Far more heroic to
> have made it a sliding scale of difficulty than this.

Well, it is in effect a sliding scale of difficulty, in my belief. But I thought you wanted a cosmological account of _why_, and I gave you one.