Re: Re: HQ questions

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 01:04:26 +0100 (BST)

> >> No, there's not, because you're just playing the part of someone
> >> playing the part of someone...That's not a HQ, that's just a bad
> >> school play. It's sounding increasingly forced.
> >
> >You may think so, but what the heck do you think hero worship
> >is about, anyway? I don't recall Morden's story getting "bad
> >school play" notices. What do you think the hero-plane _is_?
>
> A place for heros. Not a school trip for beginners.

Let me rephrase (and ignore the sideswipe). What do you think it is _cosmologically_, and what role do you think it plays in HQing, as distinct from the Godplane? You seemed to want to say all questing happens in the GP anyway, now you're objecting to my description of the HP _as_ the place where the acts of heroes are immortalized.

> >You seem to be randomly rubbishing suggestions along these lines
> >without offering much of an alternative,
>
> So presumably you've missed my references to a sliding scale of
> difficulty?

An odd claim, given that I replied to them. But what about some sort of account of the "process" of "being Vinga" at 2W, vs at 10W5? They can't be both "being Vinga" in exactly the same sense or to the same extent.

> >or taking any of the
> >alleged "mechanics" of questing into account.
>
> I'm not clear on your meaning here.

For example, Greg's comments about most quests _not_ being on the God Plane, contra your assumption.

> >> Far more heroic to
> >> have made it a sliding scale of difficulty than this.
> >
> >Well, it is in effect a sliding scale of difficulty, in my belief.
>
> Rewriting a myth to create a new version for different characters
> isn't a sliding scale, it's a set of similar, but different, myths.
> The Russian Doll theory of Gloranthan Mythology, inside every myth a
> smaller one fits.

I'm not arguing for new versions, at least, not beyond the known level of variation. Though as per my comments about hero-worship, you might have cases of known vs. "random" variation.