Re: Re: More on Wealth

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 18:33:11 +0100 (BST)

Tim Ellis:
> That's exactly my argument. The HW Wealth rating ignores individual
> items and just gives an overall indicator - That's why you don't have
> to say "The chest contains 5000 lunars, 34 wheels, 18 Rubies, 42
> saphires and 17 emeralds"

Never mind you don't have to say this, in terms of the wealth system you're _unable_ to say this.

> just "The chest contains about 5 Wealth of loot"

And you can't really say that, either (unless we have a mechanism, say something like Julian's, or like the "warped augments" idea, or _something_ at least) to add wealths together.

> - (In actual fact you are probably better off just saying "It's
> full of coins and gems" and leaving it at that - at the end of the
> adventure you can assign a wealth increase appropriate to the loot
> bought out - "OK you ransacked the Treasury - You can each raise your
> wealth by (up to) 4 points for 1HP" or whatever...)

This is fine to a point, but it makes it almost impossible for scenario writers to usefully quantify "gains" in wealth, and thus we end up in "GM winging it" territory again, whether the hapless GM is entirely comfortable with winging it.