Re: Re: HQ questions

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 19:22:25 +0100 (BST)

Wulf Corbett:
> And there's my argument. I don't like the dilution of HQs which
> originated as god vs god. It sounds too much (and indeed IS) just a
> way to make it easier. It cheapens the myth, I suppose.

Well, by that logic isn't the whole idea of "heroquesting" diluting myth? (Some people might agree with you -- apparently contemporary Dara Happans were rather of the suspicion Yelmgatha was a miserable heretic...)

> >OK, maybe I'm not really understanding what it is you're proposing
> >(or want) after all... So I'll continue telling you what it is I
> >think you're gonna get. ;-)
>
> Yes, that's about it, really. Pointless raging against the dimming of
> the light any longer, time to slip gently into the dark night.
> Considering I'm running a LM HQ in about 12 hours, not a bad idea...

I don't mean to suggest such is pointless, just trying to make such inferences as I can from the glimpses we're occassionally given. (Which I may end up ignoring myself, if they end up encumbering or diminishing The Story.)

> >"discretifying"

> Is that one in the OED?

Don't think so, but once again, it sure should be!

> >comments, implying that it's different at different
> >levels, and that there are only a smallish number of different
> >"levels". i.e., so that there's a "gold standard" of having done
> >a given quest at an easily describable level of difficulty
>
> In other words, they're different myths? There, I agree.

At what point does a "myth with variations" become a "different myth"? And how long is a piece of string? They're the same myth is a fairly key sense, if they are represented by the "same" HQ -- same in for example the key knowledge you need to complete 'em.