Re: Re: Re: Combat & Simple Contests

From: Thom Baguley <t.s.baguley_at_...>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 15:09:23 +0100

>Subject: Re: Re: Re: Combat & Simple Contests
>
>I assumed you were saying the _hero_ would make an ability test. How
>can you defeat someone by forcing them to make an ability test?
>(I suppose I was assuming you were actually using a simple contest,
>but evidently that's not so.)

No. The hero rolls close combat. Success means the hapless, cowering trollkin is defeated. Failure means the trollkin has squirmed out of the way. (The "cower" ability test was semi-humorous commemnt).

I'm not advocating this, but it _is_ the appropriate Hero Wars mechanic for to resolve an entirely one-sided contest (unless you rule it automatic).

>> One thing to bear in mind, though, is that extended contests are _very_
>> quick when one side has a big advantage (2-3 rounds tops).
>
>Largely because the _underdog_ is forced to bid big, if he wants to
>stand any chance at all. The superior person has no incentive to,
>unless time is a consideration (the PC is in a hurry to get past this
>individual, or the player is getting bored with low bids, or has a train
>to catch...).

Yes, though a trollkin with 6APs will be defeated by most heroes in one or two rounds without it bidding high.

Thom