Re: Augmentation

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 10:04:33 -0000

Penalizing the augmenting ability

Bruce Ferrie wrote:

> I'd do this if I could *really* see no way to make it apply, but a
penalty to the augmenting ability is simply applying a penalty that is not too likely to come into effect, as it's not the ability that is being "used".

Agreed, for the reasons you cite I would not suggest doing this regularly and you would probably need to apply the penalty to the affinity or grimoire to get the penalty to have an effect. Sometimes however...

One example I can think of is where a character in the rear is augmenting troops in the line. The penalty would represent exhaustion, disfavour of the god etc. Its just another tool to vary things. Another example is where the heroes have time to prepare augments before conflict and are likely to try a number under the same affinity (i.e. lets go for a series +2 augments with all those neat feats I've got). Penalising the affinity here would represent exhaustion, loss of faith after the first failure.

But as the section of the rules in question state - go with the needs of the story.

Ian Cooper