Just starting out

From: paul_at_...
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 14:11:00 -0000

Hi folks,
After 15 years of RQ the group I game with are moving on to HW and have had our first few sessions. A few issues/questions have arisen which I'd appreciate input on from people with more experience of the system. Sorry if you've heard all this before, please ignore if so, but any thoughts or even pointers to earlier mails would be gratefully received.
  1. How are people handling the balance between specific/general skills? I've found us using Scan Plains for Danger in our Prax setting as a substitute for almost all the old perception skills. Is the general idea to develop more specific skills (Search or Spot Hidden equivelants perhaps) or to continue with fewer skills and apply improvisational modifiers almost all the time? It seems to me that the danger could be ending up with some very specific skills (Spot Rodent Under Desert Bush) that are rarely useful, and some very broad skills that cover a wide range of things (did anybody out there ever play the Ringworld game? Repair fixed everything but you needed a specific branch of Organic Chemistry in other circumstances)
  2. My players expressed concern that during contests the lower dice roll wins if both players succeed. So having a Mastery means that you are less likely to fumble/more likely to succeed through a bump, but can still lose that round very easily. We've not really played enough to see how this pans out long term. Any thoughts?
  3. Does anyone have any more info on Animism in Prax? (Why do I get the feeling this has been asked every ten minutes for the last year - if so sorry, but I did try going back through previous messages with little success). Thoughts on Praxians practising integration? Normal Waha/Eiritha worshippers (not just Shamans) having Spirit Combat like Storm Bulls if so?

Sorry this has been a bit long, look forward to any responses.

Cheers

Mitch