Re: Re: Re: Re: Combat & Simple Contests

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 15:58:17 +0100 (BST)

Thom Baguley:
> >I assumed you were saying the _hero_ would make an ability test. How
> >can you defeat someone by forcing them to make an ability test?
> >(I suppose I was assuming you were actually using a simple contest,
> >but evidently that's not so.)
>
> No. The hero rolls close combat. Success means the hapless, cowering
> trollkin is defeated. Failure means the trollkin has squirmed out of the
> way. (The "cower" ability test was semi-humorous commemnt).
>
> I'm not advocating this, but it _is_ the appropriate Hero Wars mechanic for
> to resolve an entirely one-sided contest (unless you rule it automatic).

Which gets us back to my original point: as miserable a chance as this trollkin has, he stands a _better_ chance in a simple contest than in an extended one, and the same would often be true in an "ability test" situation, depending of course on how you interpret the results of the ability-test-as-a-contest.