Re: Quest Challenge gains

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 16:11:28 +0100 (BST)

Wulf Corbett:
> What's the highest anyone's allowed an Ability to go after a Quest
> CHallenge? Without considering the consequences, I allowed a
> character with Close Combat 2W2 to QC FOR Close Combat... result
> Close Combat 4W4!?
>
> Fortunately, all players agreed this was excessive (the 2W2 was
> probably the single highest Ability in our entire campaign as it
> was), and I'm going to change it to a new Ability at 2W2 instead.
>
> But essentially this seemed quite sensible, fairly fought, lots of HP
> needed. It's just the excessive result... If he had 4W4, what would
> the rest of the Warband do?
>
> Or am I just too restrictive in allowing high Abilities?

This is the "log scale" syndrome again. Going from 0 to 2W2 is nowhere near "as good as" going from 2W2 to 4W4, in game world terms. (Notionally they have the same cost in HPs, of course...) A solution to this would be, topically enough, similar to that mooted in the "wealth" thread, i.e. the same basic issue of "adding" nonlinear  score. If you're doubling your skill, as in this case, it's easy enough, it translates to a +10. (Or a +5 in Julian's strange non-Euclidean maths that I'm still hoping he'll explain.) For adding equal abilities, you need some sort of Big Table (though fortunately not all that _big_), relating the difference in ability to the gain over the higher one.