Re: Re: HQ questions

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 19:02:02 +0100 (BST)

Greg Stafford:
> I thought that their basic structure was established already: the central
> world of Now has exclusive links to the three (or four, if Underworld is
> differentiated)

And, about those Dragons... ;-)

> The Underworld is not a true Otherworld within this definition of
> Otherworld. It has links to all of the three Otherworlds.

Interesting. This implies that the U/W is not directly "sustained by the transcendent"? Does it in some sense simply sustain itself, or does it exist by somehow "bottom-feeding" off of the three "true" o/w's? (Where the old myths (gods, spirits, clever understandings of the cosmos) go to die...)

> My plan to is to present a sort of HQ Guidebook
> first to indicate the nature of the Hero Planes where most HQing takes
> place.

Excellent! I want one, and I want one now!

> This is mostly in the Storm Age/4th action/Artmali Period/Gods
> Cycle. Golden Age is rare, because actions there usually precipitate the
> Gods Wars.

I love this, I can just see the signs. "The Golden Age welcomes careful HeroQuestors." "Storm Age this way. Don't let the door hit you on the backside on the way out, filthy barbarian scum."

I can imagine that there are all sorts of Yelmic Quests of Glorious Wisdom and Inaction to the Golden Age thoughg, surely. Just watch out for the guys with sharp pointy things. (Imagine a cricket HQ...)

> Darkness Age is rare because it is so dangerous and random (all
> the worlds are broken in this era, and mixed together).

Presumably a certain number of Darkness HQs are key, though. Like the LBQ!

[the edge of the world]
> Not exactly "how far," because the distance is by definition immeasurable.

I like to think of it as having a huge bumper sticker -- "if you can read this, you're already in the HP". The sky world (for example) is "infinitely" far away unto you've used some suitable magical means of getting there -- at which point you're necessarily in the subjective realm, and how you got there colours how it is your experience it. (e.g. if you use Polaris magic, you'll be in a star fort, if you use Lorian magic, you'll be in a great torrent flooding into the sky, etc.)