Re: Adding abilities

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_...>
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2001 18:15:54 +0200

Alex :

> This is the "log scale" syndrome again. Going from 0 to 2W2 is
> nowhere near "as good as" going from 2W2 to 4W4, in game world terms.
> (Notionally they have the same cost in HPs, of course...) A
> solution to this would be, topically enough, similar to that mooted
> in the "wealth" thread, i.e. the same basic issue of "adding" non-
> linear score. If you're doubling your skill, as in this case, it's
> easy enough, it translates to a +10. (Or a +5 in Julian's strange
> non-Euclidean maths that I'm still hoping he'll explain.)

The "non-Euclidian" maths involve translating game world quanta (themselves log-based : bigness of herds frinstance) into TNs.

> Here's a Julian-style table for "adding" ability scores tigether, but
> based on the assumption that +10 respresents a doubling of effect.
>
> Difference in TNs: bonus to higher score.
>
> 0-1: +10
> 2-3: +9
> 4-5: +8
> 6-8: +7
> 9-11: +6
> 12-14: +5
> 15-18: +4
> 19-4W: +3
> 5W-11W: +2
> 12W-8W2: +1
> 9W2+ : +0
>
> e.g. adding a Close Combat 20 and CC 10W, that's a difference of 10,
> so the "sum" is a net CC of 16W. Yeah, I know, it's another table...
> But at least it's not vast, and it avoids multiplication on the hoof.

Erm : adding CC 7 and CC 10, that's a difference of 3, so the "sum" is a net CC of 19 ?

Something broken in your maths I'm afraid. Basically, you're failing to take the _size_ of the added TN into proper account, and failing to address the game world quanta problem.

The basic rule should be that you should add 1/5 of the added number to your score. Rounded up. This keeps everything consistent : the TNs, the Augmentation roolz, the game world, and the focus on Heroes' actions (not on game world simulation).

So, adding CC 20 and CC10W yields CC 14W (and 50 APs, assuming these are two fighters combining their efforts). Adding CC 20W and CC 10W2 yields 20W2 (and 90 APs). Adding CC 7 and CC 10 yields CC 12 (and 17 APs). But then, a squad with one CC 10W Hero and 20 CC 17 grunts would have 10W + (20 * 17)/5 = CC 18W4 (and 370 APs), so this approach needs fixing too.

The anally retentive calculation method for the squad's enhanced CC would be the
following one :

10W + ((17 + (17 + (17 + (17 + (17 + (17 + (17 + (17 + (17 + (17 + (17 + (17 + (17 + (17 + (17 + (17 + (17 + (17 + (17 + 17/5) /5)/5)/5)/5)/5)/5)/5)/5)/5)/5)/5)/5)/5)/5)/5)/5)/5)/5)/5)

which works out as 4 and a bit. Every grunt past the second one adding only negligeable amounts of CC to the squad.

So the full rule should be that you add 1/5 of the added TN to your score, and this is provided by a group of 2 or more separate characters with a single TN you add this same number plus 1. Our squad with the CC 10W Hero and 20 CC 17 grunts would have 10W + 17/5 + 1 = CC 15W (and 370 APs). And now Alex may understand my "non-Euclidean" maths a little more clearly ? And that 5 points of TN does actually work out as a doubling of the quanta being represented (numbers of cows frinstance) and not 10 points ? 10 points of TN is actually a *huge* difference in real terms.

Wealth is an exception, because you actually *need* a simulationist rule for it, and some method of translating the TN into accountancy. Hence my Adding Wealth table, although I now take back my suggestion that it can be used for other HW purposes. It can't.

Julian Lord