Re: Masters in Extended Contest

From: Charles Corrigan <glorantha_at_...>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 10:32:18 -0000

> Unlike you, I have no problem with both "masters" being unable
> to 'lay a glove' on each other, slowly grinding each other
> down - it points up the evenly-matched aspect of the fight in
> a way that Success/Success doesn't (Crit/Crit sorta does in
> the "Narrator Choice/Fight to a standstill"). BUT, I also can
> see your side that both pummeling each other into
> unconciousness is, in a way, non-dramatic.

The way I see it, the mastery special case (msc) rule is essential in a contest where there are muliple levels of ability on both sides. If it were only the two masters involved then whether the msc is used or not is a matter of taste.

However, if there are multiple contestants at different levels of mastery and the msc is not used then two opposing high level masters will lose APs far too quickly relative to the other contestants.

I also think that the existing msc is good enough. The fail vs fumble case will happen in less than 1 in 40 cases ('cos there is a 1 in 20 chance of rolling a fumble, and there is at least a 1 in 20 chance when that happens of the other side getting a critical or success).

regards,
Charles