Re: _Adding_ abilities, wealth and wells

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 13:31:49 -0000

Julian Lord wrote,
> The Wealth rules in HW1 are clearly broken ;
and money (and the lack of it) does often play an important role (or intermittently so) in some people's games. So yeah, _need_ IMO. The game that is, not every player group. Most players can easily do without such simulationism, but a substantial minority can't.

This is not meant facetiously but I'm never exactly clear what people want from money 'rules'.

Price Lists and wages info always tended to be limited in RPGs, but they are just that lists, useful for accounting but not much else, and just opens up a lot of other 'realism' issues over whether there is coinage, bargainiong, letters of credit, taxation, inns and shops that sell anything you are actually asking about ("Welcome to Geo's department store: gorund floor weapons, first armor, second expidition outfitters"). It just seems a hell of a hornet's nest to stir up.

Is the number of gold pieces you get at the end of the adventure really still a key part of the satisfaction of the night's play?

Wealth seems a better concept for expressing many of these variables. I'm genuinely puzzeled as to what you can't handle with wealth. I can appreciate the 'if one cow is X how much are 2 cows?' question, but its never been an issue in a game for us. In game the number has far more to do with the challenge we want to set the player to overcome than bovine economics.

If people really want to run mercantile campaigns wouldn't it be better to write a supplement for Greg with merchant or estate management adventures and additional guidance and leave the core rules just that?

If your desperate to play with tables of logs you can always write some volatility algorithms for me to save me some time at work.

Ian Cooper