Re: _Adding_ abilities, wealth and wells

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 16:24:05 -0000

Juha Ratilainen wrote:
> On the price list 'chainmail byrnie' costs 5w2 = 45 points, so the
example implies that you can add the wealth rate of the three cows together (3 x 15 = 45) and then you can check the price list and see what you can buy with that. Or have I misunderstood completely?

Agreed. Just adding wealth does not seem to work. Its never really been an issue for us, we rarely say you have ten cows what do you buy. We more likley to say 'Hey the clan's really pleased, and your kin too, your herds are swelled by the new cows from that raid." But then our players don't buy much stuff anyway, it tends to be given to them or taken away as part of an episode.

As wealth is an ability, and mainly used for things like 'Can I influence X', not 'Can I buy X', I'd just let you increase wealth at the same cost as other abilities i.e. in the case above it would be related to session, unrelated would probably suggest you were managing your estates, gifting, visiting the folks, during off-camera hours. I wouldn't tend to give you +x wealth, i'd let you buy it at the same cost. But we treat a new magic item as a new ability too, and some people prefer to have the item at 'fixed' reward rating (not a call for that debate to restart <grin>). YMMV.

But hell if Alex can work out a table of how many items of wealth x value you need to get to wealth x + 1, and that fits some people's style better...

Ian Cooper