Re: _Adding_ abilities, wealth and wells

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 10:30:58 -0000

What bothers me is not so much what Wealth represents, as how it relates to increases and decreases. For instance, a character has 'Wealth 15', he (or his bloodline - why shouldn't we be playing a bloodline, just like KoDP plays a clan?) is given 4 cows by the chief as his part of the take from a raid. Now, a cow is 'worth' 20 Wealth. But how does 'Wealth' 15 relate to 'worth' 20? Clearly the two are on different scales, or else 'Wealth' 15 wouldn't even represent a single whole cow! Wealth is, clearly, in modern terms, 'spending money' or maybe even 'credit rating'. But, how do I add those 4 cows to the Wealth 15? Is that a lot, or a little? How about 2, or 40?

Just some simple guidelines on adding 'worth' together (2 cows =??, 10 =??? etc), and how to add them to Wealth, is all that's really needed. With the guidelines in ST (or was it TR?) about coinage (can't remember the value, 1 cow = 40 Lunars, or something) would then allow us to expand the idea to put an approximate number of coins to a 'worth', and then estimate how it added to a 'Wealth'.

The old 'each doubling = +10' works adequately, but is a bit crude, especially at the bottom end of the scale. "I'm a poor stickpicker with Wealth 5. I find a torq worth 5, and suddenly I have Wealth 15! Whoopee!"

Wulf