Re: _Adding_ abilities, wealth and wells

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 15:02:04 -0000

> > What bothers me is not so much what Wealth represents, as how it
> > relates to increases and decreases.
>
> But if we know what it represents, we have _a means of_ relating it
> to increases and decreases. (If it's ever necessary to puzzle it
> out in detail.)

Exactly my point, in a way. All we have to have is a rule like "every doubling of wealth represents a +10". Except that specific rule doesn't QUITE work, and is a bit clumsy in practice. We don't need to know how many cattle you have, just what worth of cattle it takes to improve your Wealth by what ammount.

> > The old 'each doubling = +10' works adequately, but is a bit
crude,
> > especially at the bottom end of the scale. "I'm a poor
stickpicker
> > with Wealth 5. I find a torq worth 5, and suddenly I have Wealth
15!
> > Whoopee!"

> That sounds about right. 15 is only "average" wealth, a torc could
> fund that (at least for a while).

Hmm, well, I dislike the "5+5=15" logic, but I guess I see your point.

>Doubling every 5, or somewhere in
> between, might be closer to the mark, though. (I'm attempting to
> crunch the numbers in the book, but really they're too screwy to
> make much sense of.)

It makes for a decent start though. So 4 cows = worth 30 (20 x2 x2 = 20 +5 +5). To add that to an original Wealth 15 makes it 20 (30 = 15 x2 = 15 +5). No more complex than the Augmentation maths... Let's see, 100 cows would be about 12W2 worth. It's a bit tricky to 'add' the worth of items with inequal worth, like 4 cows, a horse and 3 sheep, but it's not too bad.

Wulf