Re: _Adding_ abilities, wealth and wells

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_...>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 14:17:51 +0200

Wulf :

> The old 'each doubling = +10' works adequately, but is a bit crude,
> especially at the bottom end of the scale. "I'm a poor stickpicker
> with Wealth 5. I find a torq worth 5, and suddenly I have Wealth 15!
> Whoopee!"

Erm : _technically_ one torq would count as ready cash, and this one therefore be worth 5/10 actual Wealth, therefore 0.5 Wealth. This is a very poor quality torq BTW : (poorly) carved out of wood ?

The stickpicker should be able to spend a HP to cement his newfound treasure though. I'd let him take +1 Wealth : sounds cool : stickpicker with a wooden torq, called Leiki Stickthane ? P'raps even worth a full +2 Wealth from the increase in his appearance and reputation. Even a wooden torq has to be worth 20, at least !!

Otherwise, this is a Wealth 5 torq, actually worth ten times that in "ready cash" terms ?

1c * 10 = 10c, = 1L, = 20 Wealth in "ready cash" terms, if he wanted to convert the torc into useful items. He might spend half of that on the kind of equipment that's useful on a HW character sheet (weapons, armor, ...), leaving him with 5c of durable Wealth / 10 (provided he spends the HP), and the permanent ability to have .5c (+1c from his original Wealth of 5) "pocket money" AKA Wealth 8.

Clunky ? You betcha !! But wait a moment :

If he successfully converted the whole torq into permanent Wealth, he'd have a new "pocket money" value of 2c = Wealth 10.

If the torq were worth 10 Wealth, AKA +2c income, = 3c, = 12 Wealth.

If the torq were worth 20 Wealth, AKA +1L income, = 11c, = 1W Wealth.

All of which boils down to : we need a table !!

Either :

TN1 - TN2 : New TN

  0 -  1        :       TN1 +5
  2 -  3        :       TN1 +4
  4 -  6        :       TN1 +3
  7 - 10        :       TN1 +2
 11 - 15        :       TN1 +1
   16+          :       TN1

Or :

TN1 - TN2 : New TN

    0           :       TN1 +10
  1 -  2        :       TN1 +9
  3 -  4        :       TN1 +8
  5 -  6        :       TN1 +7
  7 -  9        :       TN1 +6
 10 - 12        :       TN1 +5
 13 - 16        :       TN1 +4
 17 - 20        :       TN1 +3
 21 - 25        :       TN1 +2
 26 - 30        :       TN1 +1
   31+          :       TN1

I far prefer the _shorter_ one, not least because its learnable by heart.

Julian Lord