Re: _Adding_ abilities, wealth and wells

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 02:18:45 -0000

I don't quite get the logic of either of these arguments. Actually, I don't quite get how you can find a Torc worth five wealth. - Perhaps you find a torc worth about five cows? That would be an impressive piece of jewelry indeed! No doubt in that case I'd give it to someone deserving and wealthy, and expect that in return he'd raise me to be at least a cottar (in game terms give up the torc, but spend one hero point to cement a fair increase in wealth, the exact amount depending on narrator whim on how generous my giftee was). Alternatively, I'd keep this treasure and cement it with a hero point, saving it for some future need.
- Or perhaps you find a torc that would have a resistance of 5 to being bought? This would suggest that a typical farmer could buy it for "pocket change", and a stickpicker could just about manage it on a good day. So yah, most likely it is not of valuable metal. For him, spending a hero point and cementing a +1 wealth seems possible.

I guess I just don't see where the rules problem is here. Certainly many things could be treated in different ways, but each narrator gets to choose how he or she wants to handle them. After all, what was the point in letting the stickpicker find the torc? A small reward, a chance to get hugely rich? Because it is actually the symbol of a secret society? *shrug* I guess a lack of a universally applicable rule doesn't bother me. So I'll stop trying to argue with those who are trying to find one to fit into their own game, so long as they aren't saying that every game needs one.

-Bryan