Re: _Adding_ abilities, wealth and wells

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 13:12:51 -0000

>* - and by that I don't mean "how much you come home with before
>gifts, sharing out, cult tithes, bloodline shares, etc." I mean KEPT
>- after all that. The arguments about why you do NOT get to keep
>stuff are simply irrelevant, the problem is AFTER you decide how
>much is yours to keep.

But here you are multiplying one step into two, and this is what is giving you the problem. First of all you are saying "How much of the loot/cattle/2nd hand armour and spears I have gained is mine to keep once I have paid out and gifted all the appropriate amounts" and then having answered that question you are then faced with "How do I convert this pile of loot/cattle etc into a Wealth rating".

If you turn the equation around then you can combine them into a single question
"How many HP am I going to spend on increasing my Wealth this session" - this might be at the "unrelated" rate (if little or no loot was garnered), the "related" rate (if a "normal" amount of loot was garnered) or a special "Cementing" rate offered by the GM (If a large amount was achieved). Once you have decided this, it has automatically answered your second question - The amount you actually get to keep is represented by the amount which your wealth rating has just gone up.

> You definately
> do not, again in old fashioned terms, have to 'learn' how to use a
> chest full of gems and gold!

No, but you can choose to invest it wisely so it's value continues to increase over time. Or you can bury it in the corner of your hearth, spending from it only when absolutley necessary, so increasing your wealth once only, or you can blow it all on a massive party, giving gifts to friends, relatives and astonished passers-by, leaving you no better off than before you found it.