Re: Qualityratings for Wealth and Herowars in general

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 14:25:49 +0100 (BST)

> I for myself think,that the wealth rules are good and very elegant-
> only need a little more guideline,how to generate costratings.

I agree, to a point. This is really only one "instance" of the more general problem of relating game-world quantities to game rules ones. It applies equally to the issue of "I know this NPC is roughly [this much wealthy, what should that be in rules terms?", or "I want to add some set of items worth [yadda] to my existing wealth".

Julian's tables seem at the very least, a decent stab at this; I'd be keen to see detailed feedback as to whether or not they're "out" in any significant respect.

> Either you understand,that everything is an abstraction and=20
> then you do just that or you don=B4t and then you want mathematics to=20
> add wealth,which will not work.

I hate to break it to you, but the exact same "mathematics" is necessary for the sub-problem you identify... You can't produce cost ratings out of thin air and expect them to make much sense.

> How can you add up experience in real life?It=B4s an absurd question,I =
=20
> would say.You can only describe skill,before and after,so it=B4s an=20
> abstraction again.

Much as I hate the "Ah, but Glorantha is different!" school of argument, I can't see how this helps in cases like the HQ challenge mechanism. One could perhaps say that it gives you _either_ your old skill, or the new one, whichever is the higher, but that seems very "lossy" to me.

> What I see,is that this very long discussion brought many flawed=20
> tries to generate some kind of mathematics,that do not work and in=20
> the end,resulted in something we all already knew:that you have to=20
> spend heropoints to cement new gained wealth,thank you.

I should be most glad to know specifically how said maths is "flawed", and what _specifically_ you'd propose as an alternative.

> - 5 is for simple things
> -10 is for things,that need a certain time to do,but are still=20
> moderately fast to accomplish(like one week) OR =20
> basics in their category....(building a hut)
> -15 is for more complex or useful things(a cow can be used for=20
> meat,milk,fat and skin/leather-so has many possibilities of =20
> being used and is thus more useful than a pig)
> -20 is for things that are at the threshold of transcending into=20
> another category(wealthy clothing)

>=20
> Okay,I admit that this is still a bit vague

To say this is "a bit vague" is to that Harrek is slightly grumpy of a morning. Wouldn't you like to have a method of generating cost TNs that's actually _usable_, and can be connected to actual game-world notions? ("I'll give you 6 cows for that." "G'way with ye.")