Re: Heorling wealth benchmark

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 15:53:06 +0100 (BST)

> The benchmark from TR is for carls:
>
> "Full ... must have a plow and a whole ox-team (eight oxen)...
> receives about 120 acres (of which 40 acres lie fallow each year).
> Full carls require a herd of at least 42 cattle (including the oxen)
> to maintain this standard of living."

Ah, good man! We might add a certain fudge-factor to this, since his total wealth will be more.

Then again: this is not so much the personal wealth of an individual, but wealth that would support an entire hearth (I assume); and it's certainly not very "disposable", since it's required to maintain his status. (But it is certainly renewable.)