veneration

From: gamartin_at_...
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 11:06:47 -0000

Hi, I am wondering if there are any web links anyone is aware of dealing with veneration (more so than sorcery). I want to check up some thoughts, and although I know this may be facing an impending rewrite, I'd be happy with RQ-era stuff just for completeness and reference and so forth.

Specifically, the things I think but would like confirmed are:

Venerators, the broad mass, do not have magical powers but bestow their power on priests through the community aprticiaption chart in HW. This is distinct from theism in that veneration does not incorporate sacrifice.

Saints are like gods but not(?). They are venerated? but certain devotees (?) can gain powers from these saints (via the IG, right?) Are these properly devotees, and is their worship veneration or sacrifice?

Does this imply that saints are not as exclusive as theistic gods, and that one devotee may address more thqn one saint?

Do saints have the breadth of power that theistic gods do (number of affinities, feats)? Do saints act as exemplary models or actually bestow power? Where does this power originate? From the mass of venerators?

If you (erroneously) venerated an animist spirit, would you use the misapplied worship rules? Would you then treat the spirit as spirit or saint, mechanically?

What would do to model ancestor veneration?

Any comments appreciated.