Re: Re: veneration

From: Nick_at_...
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 15:54:07 +0100 (BST)

Gareth wrote:

> Now, if I understand correctly, sorcery has no NECESSARY relationship
> with with veneration in structural (as opposed gloranthan specific)
> terms, right?

Yep. The way the HW Sorcery chapter chops and changes between liturgists and sorcerers, blessings and spells, Saints' Orders and Sorcerous Orders is pretty confusing (*), but I think the Brithini and Sog City atheist examples show that you can have "sorcerous" societies without any liturgists, veneration, etc.

> Could one think of the liturgist/congregation saint/supplicant
> dynamic as a black box, a magic system in toto in its own right?

I imagine many pious Malkioni would do exactly that, eschewing non-congregational, non-venerational Sorcery (with its magic circles, nodes of power, grimoires, etc.) altogether.

> Liturgists use the sorcery mechanic, that would need
> to be kept, but do the GodLearner-descended sorcerers have a
> necessary relationship with this structure? I think not.

It seems to me that Gloranthan "sorcerers" should be able to exist outside the confines of church or normal society, in lonely towers on the dubious borderlands, etc.

Cheers, Nick

(*) similar, indeed, to the mess Animism makes, with Hsunchen totem integrators gaily splurged across the more normal practices...